When facing a tax problem with the Oklahoma Tax Commission, the thought of reaching a settlement may be a welcome relief. This alternative solution is only available under certain circumstances, however. In addition, taxpayers must also meet certain eligibility requirements.
Criteria for Obtaining a State Tax Debt Settlement in Oklahoma
You may be eligible for a settlement with the Oklahoma Tax Commission if you meet the following criteria:
- The tax liability is final.
- All administrative remedies and appeals have been exhausted.
- You are current with all of your state tax return filing requirements.
- You are not subject to an open bankruptcy proceeding.
- You are not the subject of a state-tax-related criminal investigation.
On the other hand, you will not be eligible for a settlement with the Oklahoma Tax Commission under the following circumstances:
- You do not meet one of the approved grounds for a settlement.
- You do not meet the five eligibility requirements listed above.
- Your tax debt pertains to trust fund taxes that were collected, but not remitted, to the OklahomaTax Commission. In these cases, the tax debt cannot be settled for less than the amount of the tax that was collected.
- You are an appointed or elected official.
Understanding whether you might be eligible for a settlement with the Oklahoma Tax Commission is difficult if you are not experienced in this complex field. Fortunately, a knowledgeable attorney can help guide you through the process towards obtaining relief of your state tax problem. When you are ready to take the next steps, we encourage you to reach out. Call us today at 405-607-1192 for a free analysis of your tax debt or liability problem.